My baby in the NICU
It was frustrating to Madyson in the NICU but then I was okay with it because I knew she was going to get better and she just needed time to adjust and to get better. Later in the morning after I had her and was okay to walk, we went into the regular baby nursery and I got to hold her and give her some kisses. She wasn't breathing well and so I didn't get to hold her long. The nursery nurse decided that she needed more care and oxygen and took her to the NICU. They put this helmet thing over her head to see if that would work for her and she still wasn't doing well with it and they decided to do actual oxygen through the nose. It was quite sad to see that and I wasn't use to not holding my baby. I wasn't even able to nurse her because her oxygen would decrease. They tried to get an IV done in her hands several times and her feet several times and her head several times. If they couldn't get one in her head they were going to give her one in her belly button but that could cause more problems than wanted. After her being practically black and blue all over they got one in her head. I was there when they were poking her and she was just screaming and I finally couldn't handle it and left because I couldn't care of my baby the way you are suppose to and I couldn't just watch her be in pain and not cry and flood everything. They were successful although Madyson looked terrible but they couldn't get an IV in her because she her veins were dried out. They wouldn't let me nurse her until she was getting the medicine in her system and the IV. Victor's cousin Daniel came and they both went to give Madyson a blessing. After the blessing she immediately took a turn for the better. She got off the oxygen after 12 hours and then whenever the doctor checked up on her she would continually be doing better. They did some testing to see if she did have an infection in her lungs and after 24 hours, the lab came back and said she didn't have any infection and that everything was normal. She was able to get one less dose of the medicine and we were able to take her home just after two days. The hospital let us board in the same room that I was in and so after the 24 hours they released me and the nurses were so nice and they gave me so much stuff and helped me out so much. We thought that we were going to need to stay at a hotel in Orem by the hospital because it would be thousands less but it was free to board at the hospital and it was such a blessing to be able to stay there and they just called me when I needed to go and feed her. It's amazing the difference between baby one and baby two. Completely different stories. She was completely off the medication by 11 on Thursday and we got some breakfast and then they had us go threw the whole checklist to take her home. They have a different checklist for the NICU babies and we had to watch different movies and everything but it was nice to watch them because I knew what to do in case of an emergency and would be somewhat prepared. Now we have our beautiful baby home and it is wonderful to be with both of my children.
The IV in her head I called a loo-hoo because it reminded me of the Who's from the Christmas movie. Poor little thing.
It was complicated to hold her or nurse her with everything attached to her body in every spot possible. There were so many wires all over the place.



Comments
Post a Comment