Sickness, Sickness and more Sickness
For the past 3 weeks Nathaniel has been pretty sick. It's probably been the worst sickness he has had. The first week seemed more like a cold and he just had a runny nose and a cough.
Week 2: when Victor was out of town, Nathaniel woke up Wednesday morning at 3 crying and screaming about his ear. He was rubbing it hard and I could only guess what it was. An ear ache. I looked all over my house for baby Tylenol because I knew we had some. I guess we didn't and so I had to go out at 3:30am to get some. I went to Albertson's and I thought they were open 24/7. Thank goodness someone was coming out and told me that they open at 6am and closed at I think 11. So I called my grandma to make sure that Macey's was open 24 hours and what a wonderful store because it was. Luckily Nathaniel was more entertained by the drive and the moon and stars so he wasn't crying. That was the good thing about going out. So I loaded up on medicine so I had covered all my bases and didn't have to worry about another early outing. That morning I took him straight to the doctor and of course it was an ear ache and he got some wonderful antibiotics.
Week 3: Nathaniel didn't seem to get better. His ear ache seemed to clear up and he didn't complain about it but he still had an ugly runny nose and a terrible cough. Friday he got a fever that didn't seem to be too extreme and was still active. He had the fever continually Saturday and Sunday and Monday. We were a little worried and he wasn't improving so on Tuesday I took him in again. The doctor checked him out and he had a 104 fever. I was so upset becasue our thermometors never got that high and I felt bad that it was that high. The doctor gave us an order to go to the hosptial to get some testing done because a fever that lasted that long means something more than a cold. Nathaniel had to have a chest x-ray and he had the influenza test as well as blood drawn for a viral scan. It was pretty ugly to do all of that work. Nathaniel screamed every minute of it and Victor got off of work and he had to do the x-ray with him. The influenza test was terrible because they put some solution up his nose and then sucked it back out. The worst of all was getting his blood drawn. He fought so hard and was so strong and cried so hard it was emotionally hard to make him do it.
Results: The chest x-ray looked like there was some junk in it and the influenza test came back with a high count of white blood cells but everything else looked good. We got those results the same day and the doctor told me that if he fever was for the 5th day and the viral came back negative that he needed to have more tests done.
After we got back from the hospital he took a 3 1/2 hour nap and his fever broke during the nap and never came back. The next day he seemed to be doing 99% better and just had the runny nose and cough. He had his energy back and everything. The doctor called with the results of the viral test and he had an adnovirus. The doctor said that it usually caused a fever for 4 days and resperatory problems. Since his fever broke and he was acting pretty normal he was off the hook for further tests. I think Heavenly Father knew that Nathaniel wouldn't last through more test and blessed him and me. Now his is just his crazy self with a tiny runny nose. It's so hard to see your little one be sick and you can't fix it with kisses or a bandade.
Week 2: when Victor was out of town, Nathaniel woke up Wednesday morning at 3 crying and screaming about his ear. He was rubbing it hard and I could only guess what it was. An ear ache. I looked all over my house for baby Tylenol because I knew we had some. I guess we didn't and so I had to go out at 3:30am to get some. I went to Albertson's and I thought they were open 24/7. Thank goodness someone was coming out and told me that they open at 6am and closed at I think 11. So I called my grandma to make sure that Macey's was open 24 hours and what a wonderful store because it was. Luckily Nathaniel was more entertained by the drive and the moon and stars so he wasn't crying. That was the good thing about going out. So I loaded up on medicine so I had covered all my bases and didn't have to worry about another early outing. That morning I took him straight to the doctor and of course it was an ear ache and he got some wonderful antibiotics.
Week 3: Nathaniel didn't seem to get better. His ear ache seemed to clear up and he didn't complain about it but he still had an ugly runny nose and a terrible cough. Friday he got a fever that didn't seem to be too extreme and was still active. He had the fever continually Saturday and Sunday and Monday. We were a little worried and he wasn't improving so on Tuesday I took him in again. The doctor checked him out and he had a 104 fever. I was so upset becasue our thermometors never got that high and I felt bad that it was that high. The doctor gave us an order to go to the hosptial to get some testing done because a fever that lasted that long means something more than a cold. Nathaniel had to have a chest x-ray and he had the influenza test as well as blood drawn for a viral scan. It was pretty ugly to do all of that work. Nathaniel screamed every minute of it and Victor got off of work and he had to do the x-ray with him. The influenza test was terrible because they put some solution up his nose and then sucked it back out. The worst of all was getting his blood drawn. He fought so hard and was so strong and cried so hard it was emotionally hard to make him do it.
Results: The chest x-ray looked like there was some junk in it and the influenza test came back with a high count of white blood cells but everything else looked good. We got those results the same day and the doctor told me that if he fever was for the 5th day and the viral came back negative that he needed to have more tests done.
After we got back from the hospital he took a 3 1/2 hour nap and his fever broke during the nap and never came back. The next day he seemed to be doing 99% better and just had the runny nose and cough. He had his energy back and everything. The doctor called with the results of the viral test and he had an adnovirus. The doctor said that it usually caused a fever for 4 days and resperatory problems. Since his fever broke and he was acting pretty normal he was off the hook for further tests. I think Heavenly Father knew that Nathaniel wouldn't last through more test and blessed him and me. Now his is just his crazy self with a tiny runny nose. It's so hard to see your little one be sick and you can't fix it with kisses or a bandade.

Wow, not fun! (That's so profound of me.) I do relate to what you went through though. We had to take Sarah in to the doctor when she was a little baby and she had to have the blood work, etc. She screamed and screamed and I was scared to death because of the white cell counts, etc. There really is nothing much worse than having to watch your child endure pain and illness. I'm glad Nathaniel is better. You're a good mom!
ReplyDeleteWow! I am so sorry. Yeah, this is pretty much the worse thing a mom (and kiddo) has to do. I hate it!! Next time please please please call me. I'd love to help. and if you're wanting any hang out time, we'd love ot do that too!!!
ReplyDelete